Doing my part to make the world a better place—whether it be by a total epiphany or a simple smile—I've found a hobby in leaving simple Post-it notes. On these Post-its are written words of kindess, love, and encouragement, in hopes that it may bring a little light to whoever may find it. Since this objective took flight, I've additionally enjoyed simply sharing daily occurances that make life beautiful. Do take what you can from my silly, messy, and scatterbrained story. If nothing else, may it encourage you to embrace your own.
To read more on my optimistic endeavor, check out my introductory post here.

Looking to join the team of fearless Post-it cadetes? Send a picture and your story to doll.meagan@gmail.com. Happy posting!

Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Lesson on Respiration


In through the nose, out through the mouth.

I think that's my thought for LIFE. I can almost apply it to everything! Overly excited, upset, scared, exhausted... Breeeath.

I wish we had more reminders that told us to breathe. I just laughed out loud as I wrote that sentence... Makes me sound not so smart. Obviously, I know how to breathe. But sometimes, it feels like I sure do forget!

When I say "breathe," I definitely mean it more metaphorically, you know? I'm the QUEEN of staying busy. I normally take more than I ever really want to do and don't hesitate to take up one more thing after that. I wouldn't call myself a "push over," necessarily, but I rarely refuse a request. Now, although I'm a people-pleaser, I really do think that this constant adding comes more from trying to please myself. If I do one more thing... If I work a little longer... If I add one more To-Do...

Being self-initiative and determined is good, but everyone has a limit. Sometimes, at least for me, it's too easy to get going and keep adding and continue pushing until you hit rock bottom and have no idea how you got there. When you take to time breathe (this may be literal, as well as physically, emotionally, or mentally), you often get an inside view of the craziness you've begun to consider routine. It's then that you realize what's priority and what is negative guilt or pleasing that's just begun to boil over.

Breathe! Try it. It's funny how we do it all the time, constantly, 24/7, and yet when we take a moment to think about the involuntary action, it feels so relieving.

Listen to me. I sound like a yoga instructor! Regardless of whether this made any sense, today's Post-it was meant to be a reminder that sometimes in order to keep moving, you need to stop. How's that for an oxymoron? Especially as the school year dwindles down, and teachers/students are just anxious to be done for awhile, these last few weeks can become quite stressful. The year won't end any sooner because you're rushing to fit last-minute things in. In fact, when you take a moment to breathe, you may just see how quickly it's been moving all along.

What's that I hear? Oh, it's my algebra 2 calling my name... How sweet. (Dripping in sarcasm!) Unfortunately, I have to take this call.

Have an awesome night! Tomorrow is Friday :-)

Meagan

No comments:

Post a Comment